Wikipedia

Search results

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Is Gatsby Great?

    To be honest, I like the movie better. The best way to ruin a book is making it a summer reading; The Great Gatsby was my summer reading.Although I enjoy the movie better, I also like the book. Comparing to Frankenstein which is also a summer reading, Gatsby is way better. I understood Daisy when I read the book because I did not pictured Gatsby as a good-looking guy. But if Gatsby looks like Leonardo and Daisy still chose Tom, she is probably mad or blind.   I read lots of reviews of The Great Gatsby online after I watched the movie. Some critics said the relationship between Gatsby and Daisy is like Jesus and Judas. I do not like this understanding because in my opinion, The Great Gatsby is about a man who is promoted by love and fulfills the American Dream. Gatsby is shot by George while his phone rings. He murmurs Daisy and dies. I felt sorry for Gatsby once, but it is definitely a relief for him because he dies with his fantasy of being with Daisy forever. He does not need to bear all the pressure from the society anymore, and his Daisy will still be wonderful in his mind instead of a snob. Gatsby is too naive; Daisy is not only a material girl, she also cares about fame. Even though Gatsby is rich, he is never royal after all. He is not old money.    Gatsby is great. He is great because he does all he can do to get what he wants. He has a pure heart that actually leads him to the top of the society, and this is enough to be a great person.    Leonardo is so handsome when he says "old sport".

No comments:

Post a Comment