Wikipedia

Search results

Thursday, October 17, 2013

1984 and Communism

    I read 1984 last year in Literature class. When I first read to the scene of the two minutes hate which everyone is doing an X with his/her arms and yelling at Goldstein's face, I was amazed by its similarity to Mao's China.
    People were forced to memorize Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung. It is like people in 1984 are forced to do get up early and do the morning exercise. People that are against the government disappear like the description in 1984, "People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."
- George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 1 People were given false reasons of the vaporization. When I read the book, I was panic just like when my dad told me Mao's China when he was young. I know our society will not go back like that, but I was amazed by that time period. People were living happily in a cage, and the brain washing can be so powerful that goes far beyond our thought. 

    I admire Winston because I am ninety percent sure that I am not going to be a Winston in that situation and society. The ending of the book made me so uncomfortable.I thought he is going to find a underground organization and overthrown the Big Brother. Instead, all he falls into a trap. I will be less upset if Winston is simply killed after getting caught by the Big Brother.The most hopeless moment is when Winston finds out his "hope" is part of Big Brother's plan.
    All in all, I really like the book because it is so real and cruel. But I did not enjoyed it. I guess I am a person of happy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment